sunnuntaina, syyskuuta 02, 2012

3/3 The Excitement of Breathing

Source: favim.com via Anu on Pinterest



I had now understood how the breathing worked muscularly and physically but when I started to sing something did not connect. Then it was time for Päivi, the singing teacher, to poke me again. 

"Now you feel the breath, but what about the song? Aren't you telling something with it?"

 
The song at the moment was about a girl singing her excitement and happiness out loud. I tried and I tried but somehow I wasn't able to absorb the feeling into my voice not to speak about my body. I tried to defend myself: I've been used to melancholic songs, I mostly like them, they're close to my personality... And so on I went.








...Until Päivi, my singing teacher,  said something very important about being an artist and a creative person. Something that doesn't only touch singing and acting but everything, also architecture and living in general.
"Well, if you can't feel excited happiness yourself then would you picture how is to feel like someone else does?
That's what being creative human being is in the end, putting yourself into someone else's position."








Again she hit right.
If the teachings before had made me think, this message really struck me. I had thought myself as an empathic person and now I was truly surprised of turning in on myself while creative process. I knew the basics of creativity and I knew how empathy was a vital power in it, but somehow I had forgotten myself into the process of searching answers from only within myself.




While I turned in thinking about this massive "mistake" I had done in everything from architecture to singing my teacher obviously noticed my disruption and advised me to go back on breathing. 

"Now you know how to breathe, don't you? Feel how the breath gives you sensation of prickling in your chest and even on your finger tips. Isn't it funny energetic feeling this tingling? It's the excitement of breathing we're talking about here. It turns into emotional excitement, as inspiration too. It gives you inspiration if you understand. It's not for nothing that those two words come from same origin: 

In`spi*ra"tion (?), n. [F. inspiration, L. inspiratio. See Inspire.]

1. The act of inspiring or breathing in; breath; specif. (Physiol.), the drawing of air into the lungs, accomplished in mammals by elevation of the chest walls and flattening of the diaphragm; -- the opposite of expiration.

2. The act or power of exercising an elevating or stimulating influence upon the intellect or emotions; the result of such influence which quickens or stimulates; as, the inspiration of occasion, of art, etc.

3. (Theol.) A supernatural divine influence on the prophets, apostles, or sacred writers, by which they were qualified to communicate moral or religious truth with authority; a supernatural influence which qualifies men to receive and communicate divine truth; also, the truth communicated.
         "
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913 + 1828)












Source: travelblog.org via Anu on Pinterest



By saying that the "excitement of breathing", a physiological sensation, turns into actual emotional reaction my teacherment Physiologic Response to Emotions. The nerves work both ways in this. Many life coaches use the theory saying: "Smile to your mirror and you'll feel much better and confident about yourself", but our ingenious system can do so much more. Instead of mirror try to feel the Inspiration woken by Breathe next time ;).

Wish you luck,
Anu

P.S. Give me feedback about these three posts and we'll be back.

Ei kommentteja: